Read Me First: An Introduction to Housing Affordability
New to housing policy? Trying to understand how housing got so expensive and what we can do about it? The articles below are a great place to start.
How did housing get so expensive?
- How Burrowing Owls Lead To Vomiting Anarchists (Or SF’s Housing Crisis Explained). The seminal long-form piece from Kim-Mai Cutler for TechCrunch. Probably no other single piece of writing has done so much to bring so many people in the tech community into housing activism.
- East Of Palo Alto’s Eden: Race And The Formation Of Silicon Valley. A follow up to the Burrowing Owls story, with a focus on racial equity in Palo Alto.
Why haven't we solved this already?
What would better housing policy look like?
- Yes, You Can Build Your Way to Affordable Housing. Whether it's built by the government or the private market, whether you build up or sprawl out, the key to affordable housing is abundant housing.
- Why Falling Home Prices Could Be a Good Thing. Building more housing in high opportunity cities would go a long way towards addressing inequality in America.
- Seattle Housing Affordability and Livability Agenda. Seattle's HALA plan is not one silver bullet. It's 65 practical and incremental changes that together represent an important step forward for housing abundance and affordability. Up to date information available from the City of Seattle's HALA page.